Tuesday, January 24, 2012

[New Year New You] My Response to Maps


The New Year, New You Project is an experiment in Magical Radical Transformation.  Please see here for how to participate! 

Please remember to leave a link here to your blog entry with your response to this prompt or an update on your own Experiment.


I've been thinking about where I wanted to go for this particular experiment, and Jow was hopeful that we would maybe take a trip to New Hope but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to work on Spare Oom as it's really been more a disaster/storage space since the holidaze.  I had ordered all the craft supplies I would need for the coming season which sounds awesome until you realize it all has to live somewhere which will require a lot of Jenga'ing because you don't live in a chateau, you live in a Parisian sized pied-a-terre (with no first bigger house but whatev I'm American).

Acquiring things for Spare Oom has been fun as it means I can pretend to be fancy and French (my Amazon wish list is now full of French aspirational books.  I think I have a better chance pretending to be French than I do Mormon) and I've been selecting things slowly and carefully with Jow.   A black lace shrug to go over my black chiffon dress that I'll use for rituals only.  Candle holders.  Element jars.  Buying the table and shelves.  

But now the time for acquiring has passed and it's time for the less fun part, organizing everything.  We put up our Sarah Lawless print a bit ago and framing it was challenging but I got it done.  We need an extension cord so chandelier with its soft pink bulb can be the main source of lighting.  We hung up the collage I made of my family pictures in the hall and then proceeded to unpack all of my supplies and parceled them out (14 parcels of roving waiting to become skeins, eight pounds of beeswax waiting to become candles, and so on) and put them away.

We still need to set up our altar and shelving and finish setting things up but we should be ready to do our first ritual within a week or two.  We've also been doing a good job with keeping up with keeping the house neat which is super important since we're both working so much.  It's nice coming home to our hearth.

Feeling warm and cozy in our home as well as keeping up with our magical duties has become v. important to me in my own cosmogram.  Which . . .as today is my birthday it's still startling feeling more Mother than Maiden as I spent a lot more time as Maiden than Mother.

7 comments:

petoskystone said...

Happy Birthday!

Gordon said...

PAW! You hide the birthday thing in the middle of a sentence in the last paragraph?!

Grrr...

Happy birthday, lovely.

Rose Weaver said...

Happy Birthday, and congratulations on your work with the Spare Oom. I love this! :)

Satyr Magos said...

Happy birthday.

~ Mari said...

happy birthday!

Peeps said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you're having such fun being aspirationally French. It's long been one of my favorite hobbies.

petoskystone said...

Oh, yeah...http://hedgehogwolverine.blogspot.com/2012/02/response-to-new-year-new-you-mapswhat.html

Post a Comment