Monday, January 16, 2012

[Recipe Monday] Cassoulet

So.  If you're looking for a reason to cry and feel bitter about your life, read this article and look at the blogs.  I am without irony whining drunkenly right now about how badly I want to be a young hip not-Utah Mormon mom.

But.  While waiting to become perfect, you still need to eat.  So.  Cassoulet.

Cassoulet
4 pieces of bacon, diced large
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 parsnip, diced
1 carton baby bella mushrooms
1 can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
Large can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 cup water
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
bouquet garni (I use a t-sac because I'm lazy and have them on hand) with fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley and a dried bay leaf)
Salt and pepper to taste
Seasoned panko breadcrumbs and grated cheese

Put the bacon in a large pot on medium heat on the stove.   Drain some of the grease of of the pot.  Add onions.  Then add the mushrooms and then the garlic.  When everything is browned, add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot.  Add the rest of the ingredients except the breadcrumbs/cheese.  Simmer uncovered on low heat for at least an hour.   Scoop into bowls and top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually... Other than the kids? My life *is* crafts and cupcakes most of the time.
Um.
Urban lesbian utopia for the win?

Re: Casoulet: Yay! A recipe with parsnip(s)! :-D
(My local grocery store has remarkable little in the way of Ontario - or even just Canadian - produce, so I'm hunting through and grabbing what I can get. Thense: Wanting to find things to do with parsnips. Hint Hint. ;-)

Also: What is it about the super-hardy winter veggies that makes them taste so good with pork? Is it because they're sweet? Or what? (And how does it work with cabbage...)

Anyway, I'm rambling.


TTFN,
Moi.

~ Mari said...

Okay, so I went over there and read the article and have some of the blogs open in separate tabs for looking at when I get finished here. But wow. All I can say is, Wow. My boys are both grown - 22 and the "baby" will be 21 soon. I'm a full time homemaker (writer and editor and avid book reader). We live in a small apartment (me and my husband), but I don't spend 24-7 "keeping house" like some people like to think I do ~ I just make it look like I do, I guess. LOL I can understand focusing on the positive - but not to the point where the bad stuff gets ignored. I know first-hand how damaging that can be, and even on my blog, I try to address both sides of everything. It takes a lot of energy to pretend to be the All Happy All The Time channel. For me, I use that energy in other places, where it's needed more.

Your casoulet recipe looks fantastic. I want to try it.

Deborah Castellano said...

@ Birchtreemaiden - then you need to get with the dreamy picture taking posts so I can drool enviously over your life too, woman! Parsnips are also good in beef stew! And if you are roasting a whole chicken they are good to roast with it with brussel sprouts, carrots and (believe it or not) radishes. :)

@ Mari - well they do say that Utah is also the most heavily medicated state in terms of antidepressants so there's that and on a serious note I made a v. serious decision to stop Stepfording it up and just be real once I was getting a divorce. But still, it's nice to dream that someone's life is that good (though it would be better if it were mine! ;p)

Wizardess said...

Yum to the recipe, sans bacon & cheese. I'd like to invite you to my Tarot give-away:
http://gooutbeneaththenakednight.blogspot.com

Post a Comment