Monday, February 7, 2011

Retro Recipe Monday: Italian Spaghetti with Chicken Liver Sauce

So, according to The General Foods Kitchens Cookbook, this is an Italian dish. Allow me to express that as an Italian-American who has also been to Italy, I can't say that I've ever seen them served. I'm sure they are somewhere, but I've never eaten chicken liver as part of my Italian experience. I have recently eaten various liver because I'm on a Girls Who Eat Guts Tour and I did a thorough tour of the "liver" section and a good run wit the "sweetmeats" section. My verdict on liver is that I like liverwurst still, cow's liver is gross (pink milk from blood *shudder*), duck liver is good, pate is good, fried chicken livers are . . .okay. Not something I would order but would not turn away at someone's house. It tasted like KFC skin with a dab of liverwurst in it to me. I liked sweetmeats a great deal.

So without further ado, here it is. As usual, pics/blog post from making this or any other of my recipe Monday recipes = guest spot.

Italian Spaghetti With Chicken Liver Sauce

5 tablespoons salad oil or olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 cans (1 lb, 13 oz. each) Italian tomatoes - about 6 1/2 cups
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano or sweet basil
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound chicken livers, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/3 cups sliced canned mushrooms, drained
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 packages (1 1/2 lbs) uncooked thin spaghetti
3 tablespoons butter

Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy pot. Add onions and garlic and saute until golden brown. Add tomatoes, breaking slightly with a fork. Add tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaves, sugar and cheese. Mix well. Simmer over low heat 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Saute chicken livers and mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Add to sauce and cook 1/2 hour longer.

Cook spaghetti as directed on the package. Drain. Add butter and mix, tossing spaghetti lightly until butter is melted. Serve with hot sauce and sprinkle with more grated cheese if desired. Makes 8 servings of spaghetti and sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment