Monday, December 27, 2010

Retro Recipe Monday: Moar Cooking with Company


The next morning, I'm late as usual
Karen's there fresh as a daisy
She says with a smile, "You look like hell
And where you last night?"


The holidaze has been full of visiting with all of my family and a near constant food/champagne food coma. So much so, that Jow and I decided to start our own experiment on changing our life habits. So far, it's a pain in the ass. It's not magical per se, though whenever exerting one's will over the universe/inertia is really, so I will be more tumblr'ing and tweeting about that and other things like my terrible tv habits and learning to use my spinning wheel.

BTW, in case you were wondering, the cats like our new popcorn popper about as much as they like the vacuum. But . . .they're also super high on holiday catnip, so . . .paranoid trade off.

Onto the recipe!

Rosy Ham Ring
Letters from women, praising this pretty loaf, prompt us to reprint the recipe from our Freezing & Canning Cookbook.

3 lbs. ground smoked ham
1 lb. ground pork
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
Tomato Basting Sauce


* Combine all ingredients except sauce; mix well. In a 16x11" baking pan, shape with hands to make a ring (or loaf) about 10' across. Pour over half of sauce.

* Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) minutes; pour remaining sauce and bake 45 minutes longer, basting several times with sauce. Makes 12 to 14 servings.

Tomato Basting Sauce: Combine 1 can condensed tomato soup, 1/2 c. vinegar, 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard.

Note: You can mix this loaf a few days early and freeze it. Allow a little longer cooking time. At serving time fill the center of the ring with buttered peas, corn or succotash.

2 comments:

Gordon said...

Baby, am I missing something or are there a couple of key things not typed here? Like the cooking time in the first bit?

Also, what in the heck do you replace ground ham with if you live in an economic area where you would get punched in the face for asking for ground ham?

My guess would be to up the pork amount and swap with lardons. Or maybe 50/50 diced ham and lardons? Or should I just go out and buy a mincer? I want one, but it seems really homophobically named.

The reason I ask is because this is really close to being Dukan-friendly. I am totes cooking this.

Deborah Castellano said...

Oops, so I did! 45 minutes it seems!

Since you are the first brave soul interested in making this (and I would *love* for you to write it up for a guest spot) or any of the other bizarre concoctions that were apparently super popular in 50s American cuisine, let's take some guesses and liberties here.

I'd go 50/50 diced ham and lardons. Lol, mincer ;p If you're feeling really ambitious you could get a meat grinder, I suspect it would do the same as a mincer!

Post a Comment