Monday, December 12, 2011

[Retro Recipe Monday] Southern Eggnog

Firstly, thanks to all you Charmers who've already signed up for New Year, New You: An Experiment in Magical Radical Transformation.  There's always this awkward moment (and by moment I mean several hours) when you've put something out into the universe like this and you're wondering does everyone think I'm crazy/crazier than usual?  I will be doing our first prompt sometime this week, possibly tomorrow.

Onto the business at hand!  I thought we'd get back to our old friend The General Foods Kitchen Cookbook for some Christmas abominations.

If you get brave and decide to make any of this, as always, I'm happy to include you in a Recipe Monday guest spot.

Southern Eggnog


1 package (3 1/4 oz) Jell-O Vanilla Pudding and Pie Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1 quart milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup peach brandy or Grand Marnier
1 cup whipping cream
Nutmeg

Combine pudding mix, sugar and 1/4 cup of the milk in a 2-quart saucepan.  Add slightly beaten egg yolks and blend well.  Then add remaining milk; mix well.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil - about 10 minutes.  Cool.  Beat egg whites until stiff peaks will form; fold into cooled pudding mixture.  Add vanilla and brandy; then chill several hours.  Just before serving, whip the cream.  Spoon onto eggnog.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.  Serves 12.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I... what... pudding?

Deborah Castellano said...

I didn't stutter. ;p I couldn't make this up if I wanted to!

Post a Comment